Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ultrasounds

One of my vets has 2 nephews who are home schooled, and they are doing a project on how puppies develop, so Cookie who is due to have puppies at the end of June, is the subject of the project. Its involves Cookie being ultra sounded every week or so (according to my schedule)
When she was about 3 weeks in whelp we did the first Ultrasound - I have never had one done before, as I figure if I wait 9 weeks I will find out, if she is pregnant!. However Cookie is carrying her second litter, and I could already tell at 3 weeks, she was pregnant. Sure enough when doing the ultrasound we could see several tiny beating hearts - no attempt was made to count - but we saw at least 4.....

Two weeks later we went in and did a second ultrasound and this time we could count at least 7 fetuses - it will be interesting to see how many she actually has. On the second ultrasound it was possible to see a bit more of the skeletal development.

And here is what Cookie actually looks like


No comments: