Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sao Paulo

The trip here was uneventful, both flights were on time! It was a 10+ hour flight from Chicago, we left at 10pm which meant it was daylight as we flew over the Amazon Rainforest (which from the air looks remote and untouched) and then south into Brasil. Weather here is in 70's (it's winter).
I am staying at the Marriott at the airport (on points), as I just have a 20 hour layover, before flying onto Santiago, Chile, (on Swiss Air, my other flights were on United) hope to get a good nights sleep before getting up at 4am to get to the airport to catch my early flight.
The hotel is just OK, its undergoing renovation, the towels are "wimpy" more like what I expect to get at a motel 6, not a top hotel. Still I do have a coupon for a free cocktail - a local specialty - Caipirinha, so will have to try it.
Brazil's national cocktail, made with cachaça, sugar and lime. Cachaça is Brazil's most common distilled alcoholic beverage. Like rum, it is made from sugarcane.
Electricity here is 110 volts with US plugs, so all electronics work easily. Except new laptop decided to have problems with Internet explorer which i could not resolve, so I have removed IE and am now using Firefox, and life is good

1 comment:

S. Groeschel said...

Hi Lesley,

Thank you for setting up your SA travel blog. I am hoping to travel there next year and appreciate any travel info for that part of the world!

Sandi Groeschel