Monday, March 30, 2009

Oh what a busy night!

UPDATE at 11:15
The last tri boy just arrived!! we now have 9 (thats right, NINE puppies)!
If you saw the picture of Abba last week, you will realise why she looked so big - she had 8 puppies in her tummy! We have 5 Tri boys, 1 red boy and one Tri girl and one red girl. David wanted a Tri boy to choose from - well he got his wish! After my sleep deprived weekend, I headed to bed around 9pm, as it was obvious Abba was getting ready to have puppies, and I wanted some sleep. At 1:30am, a puppy cry woke me and when I went to check, she had 2 puppies. She leisurely produced the litter, with nary a pant or a grunt and the last one arrived at 10:30 this morning.
Now whilst this all sound easy on me, I had a few other dramas going on at the same time (in the middle of the night) I could hear a smoke alarm chirping, so in between puppy arrivals, I changed out the battery, but that did not fix it, and the cheeps were getting closer together, meaning the full blown alarm would go off soon. So in order to avoid this is disconnected the alarm from the electricity, still it continued, so I disconnected its neighbor an that solved the problem after about an hour. Meanwhile I realised our whippet Lily was missing - then I remembered that at the end of last year, while we were in Australia the same thing happened with the smoke alarms and she refused to come in the house at all. My house sitter was worried then, (as a geriatric whippet does not do well outside in snow) So outside I go and find Lily, and bring her back inside and put her in a crate, which stressed her more as the alarm was still cheeping at this time, an she could not get away from it. Eventually, all was quiet and this situation was over. I have to get an electrician out here this week and have everything looked at, to prevent it happening again.

4 comments:

Janet said...

Ok, Abba you can stop now! Eight is Enough

Janet said...

Sure Abba breaks us in with a litter of 3 the first time and then triples that the next time. Good thing I'm making the dining room a big play area for them.

Carrie said...

Poor Lily! I hope that you can find a way to fix the alarm so that it won't keep going off.

Congratulations on the uneventful arrival of the puppies...now get some rest! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulation, congratulation and congratulation again for your beautiful litter.I'm happy for you.

Graziella